Fish Derby 2012 : With or Without Snow & Ice!
The Lions Club will be holding its 35th annual Fish Derby February 11th through February 19th. As of this printing of the Observer, the Island’s spring-like weather has broken and colder temps have finally brought some snow. Maybe there will be ice on the lake after all by February. But if not, the Fish Derby will still be held.
Prizes will be awarded at noon on February 19th at Nelsen’s Hall, where everyone can also enjoy a lunch of brats, hot dogs, chili, beans, and potato salad. Bingo, with cash prizes, will follow.
As always, other activities will be part of the Fish Derby events, some sponsored by other groups. One of those will be the annual Chili Cook-Off on Saturday, February 18th, at Karly’s from 11:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m.
You don’t have to enter chili in the contest to enjoy sampling the variety of chilies (for a small charge). All chili that is entered will be judged and then open to the public for sampling.
Rules of the Chili Cook-Off (both traditional and non-traditional recipes are welcome):
• 10% of the judges’ votes will be the name you give your masterpiece, so the funnier, more creative, the better!
• Cook-Off contestants are expected to bring their pre-cooked creations in at least a 4-qt. pot or slow cooker with any toppings.
• The judges’ criteria will grade each of the following categories from 1-5 with 5 being the highest: chili name, appearance, aroma, consistency/texture, flavor and “bite.”
• Contestants will be assigned a number for their entry, no names please.
• Contestants with chili must be at Karly’s by 11:15 a.m. Saturday, February 18th, 2012, for judging.
• The judges’ votes and awards will be final. Contestants with the three highest scores win. Need not be present to win.
• Awards for the contest are:
1st place, $55
2nd place $35
3rd place $25
• Awards will be presented at approximately 1:00 p.m. the day of the cook-off.
The Chili Cook-Off is sponsored by the Island’s Chamber of Commerce. For more information, call Mary Andersen at 847-2191.
Click here for Washington Island Observer subscription info.